Sunday, March 19, 2023

#52 Ancestors Week 12 Membership (March 19-25)

 This week's prompt "Membership" made me think about my Grandpa Barnum, Dad and my Uncle Bob Barnum.  All were members of the Minnesota International Union of Operating Engineers with Local Unions 49. This was formed in 1927 serving North & South Dakota and Minnesota.  

My grandpa and uncle Bob were crane operators and my dad was a front loader operator. 

Early crane that my Grandpa Barnum worked on.  

A front loader that Dad work on. 

Grandpa Barnum owned this bulldozer later in life. 


Early pictures of Grandpa's job sites



My dad also at least one year knocked down the St. Paul Winter Castle in the 1980's. My father worked for many years Minnesota Lumber and Wreaking Company doing demolition.  Due to taking down grain mills in Minneapolis in the 1960's and 1970's before OSA rules - no masks, open cab ended up having to retire early in his late 40's.  

Individual blog posts:






No comments:

Post a Comment